Tuesday, April 30, 2013

The Swing of Things

The Stats 4/14/13 - 4/20/13
4/14: 3.11 mi; 24'27"; 7'51" avg. pace
4/15: 3.11 mi; 23'54"; 7'40" avg. pace
4/17: 3.11 mi; 24'05"; 7'43" avg. pace

It finally happened. I got back to the benchmark for my normal running activity - three runs of three miles or more in a week. Granted, I didn't soar beyond those requirements for normalcy, I was happy to reach that mark again. There are still sensitive areas on my legs that are forcing me to switch up my gait. I consciously have to land more flush on my right foot, whereas I would prefer turning the foot inwards and running on the outside of it. That combined with winter inactivity has pushed down my times and mile splits. But running sub-eight minute miles is nothing to sniff at. In my early days of running, 2006-ish, I couldn't break 8 minute splits, trotting the Pi Mile trail at Georgia Tech. That may have been due in part to the searing heat and suffocating humidity, but I'd also like to think that years of activity have left me in better baseline shape.
For now the 2013 running season is looking promising. Spring races typically include: The Susan G. Komen 5k, The Poca River Race (15k), and the Run for Your Life 5 Miler. So I'm going to fist bump a friend and get to running.

No comments:

Post a Comment