Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Statesman 10k Recap

The Stats
6.21 mi; 55'24" chip time; 8'55" per mile; 2,218 out of 14,389

Team PTR can mark Texas off the 10k map. The rain held off during our short stay in Austin despite thunderstorm predictions by weather forecasters. However, we were greeted by a heavy dose of fog on race morning.
"I'm a Texas girl who loves forecasting Texas weather (and yes, I get it right EVERY time)."
Congress Ave. Bridge

I took the option of starting in the first wave of runners at 8 am. If the weather had been bad early, I would have started with the rest of the family. Since the rain held off before the race start I jumped in line behind the elites. I was a little too close to the elites for comfort, but I was quickly left in their dust. In fact I was passed by other runners for the majority of the run. No matter, slow and steady finishes the race.
It is always difficult to look back on a race and recall the details. The memory turns into a large blob of pain, fatigue, and excitement only a few hours after hitting the finish line. All the same, a few tidbits do stand out.

  • I ran behind a shirtless guy holding a full size Rastafarian flag above his head in the first mile. Why someone would put their arms through that is beyond me, and it did not seem to mesh with the laid back vibe of Rastafarian-ism. 
  • The hill section behind the state Capitol was particularly exhausting. I made sure to dial back the pace so that the first 2.5 miles did not completely drain my energy. And I did not come close to winning the King of the Hill distinction.
  • As with every race, I try to hit the water stops near the end of the table/section. Everyone seems to crowd around the front of a water stop and it creates a traffic jam of flailing and stationary legs. 
  • My stomach was uneasy during the last half of the race. I appreciate the courtesy of race organizers to place port-a-johns on the side of the race course, but I also feel them tempting me to stop. The will to finish ultimately overcame any intestinal distress.
  • The finishing stretch felt like it was over half a mile long. I was ready for the finish line after crossing the 1st St Bridge. An increased pace down the stretch led to my fastest split time coming in the final mile. The dude finishing beside me danced over the line and I kind of dodged him. 
  

Watch where you're high stepping!









The results were about what I expected. Given the elevation, the humidity, and the lack of early spring training. Mike closed the gap behind me to 10 minutes.

The 1st St Bridge was my best section

I was able to meet up with Mary in the park that hosted the post-race party. We missed Mike and Emily and met up with them back at the hotel. Recovering took some time. When we were able to move our legs again, we walked to a cafe for lunch. Then, we tried to shop in downtown Austin without much luck. Our evening entertainment was a trip to the Alamo Drafthouse where we saw a showing of Intergalactic Nemesis: Twin Infinity. I could try to describe what that was like, but I would fail miserably. We met one of Emily's high school friends for dessert later that evening. A sweet capping to a hard race and a long day.
In summary, Austin was kind a little underwhelming. I'm sure it would have been more fun with some extra time and some locals to shepherd us around. But the race was well organized and large. And now I have the motivation to make this a successful year of running. Onward and upward.

No comments:

Post a Comment